Project Status: Active
Active Developers: amorilia, neomonkeus
Former Developers: Brandano, m4444x
Contributors: PacificMorrowind, entim, shon, kikaimegami, malo, Artorp, tijer, lhammonds, fritz_fretz, zinx, ...
Blender is a free and open source program for 3D modeling, animation, and rendering, and is available for all major operating systems including Windows, Linux, and Mac. The Blender NIF scripts enable Blender to import and export NIF files. The scripts also require Python and PyFFI.
Recommended Downloads - Blender 2.49
Read the notes before starting the install process
- Although this is the recommended official release version, we suggest that you only use Blender 2.49 for import/export only.
- We recommend using Blender 2.7+ for production work.
- Use a recommended exchange format (.3ds, not .obj) or the .blend file set to compatibility mode to move between Blender versions.
- If you want to learn more about the development of the updates, please see - http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3520
- If you are interested in seeing the roadmap - http://niftools.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3568
- Install each in order as listed.
|Requirements||Version||Download Link||Additional Notes|
|Python||2.6.6||Python 2.6.6||Only 32-bit, x86 version supported|
|Blender Nif Scripts||2.5.9||Blender Nif Scripts 2.5.9||No official Skyrim support, workarounds available|
|3D Package||Import||Export||Textures||Skin Deform||Animation||Lights||Cameras||Particles||Oblivion Collision|
|3ds Max||Yes||Yes||Base, Glow, EnvMap, Bump, Gloss, Dark & Detail||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|Blender||Yes||Yes||Base, Glow, EnvMap, Bump, Gloss, Dark & Detail||Yes||Yes||No||No||No||Yes|
|Maya||Yes||Yes||Base & Glow||Yes||No||No||No||No||No|
The main features of the scripts are:
- native DDS support - no longer need to convert your textures - for this to work you need a recent version of Blender, at least 2.46
- support for all currently known NIF versions and many games (because PyFFI processes the format xml description directly, any update to the format can be immediately used)
- built-in stripifier, tangent space calculation, and skin partition calculation
- handles Oblivion collisions fairly well (everything fully supported except for mopps which are still very experimental, this will likely remain so)
- full bone and skinning support
- animation support for Morrowind and Oblivion
- Oblivion custom "skeleton.nif" support, including havok and constraints
- Configuring the Blender scripts
- A quick-start guide
- Tips and hints
- Installing the development version of the Blender scripts
- Making a chair
- Making a helmet
- Rendering an inventory icon
- Setting up collision objects for Morrowind and Oblivion.
- Importing a chair
- Importing a helmet
- 3ds Max 7 To Morrowind by way of Blender.
- Advanced Texture Settings in Blender for environment and bump maps in Morrowind.
- How to edit UV or make new UV with Blender
Skinning & Animation
- Skin partition warnings or the WARNING: lost XXX in vertex weights while creating skin partition problem: how to resolve them
- Making a robe
- Making a creature
- Blender/Oblivion Character Animation with Blender
- Morrowind Character Animation (Morrowind_Animations_with_Blender.zip)
- Morrowind Creatures in Blender
- Blender Animation Tutorial