High Quality 3D Map

A place to announce and discuss game mods made using our tools

High Quality 3D Map

Postby Ethatron » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:17 am

Here

This is a replacer for the LOD files which are responsible for the 3D-Map.
Texture resolution has been quadruppled and mesh resolution increased 20 fold.

Thanks to you (us?)! :lol:
First Skyrim mod with propper NIF i/o through C++ niflib. Na sdorowje!
Ethatron
NifTools Developer
NifTools Developer

Re: High Quality 3D Map

Postby throttlekitty » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:23 am

nice work!
throttlekitty
NifTools Team Member
NifTools Team Member

Postby Iloei » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:30 am

Which niflib fork did you use? (Did you use 1.1.0-rc4 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/niftool ... /OldFiles/?)

Thanks!
Iloei

Postby neomonkeus » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:53 pm

@Ethatron - You should mess with the ini file so you can get up close images - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=145

@Iloei - These files are generated using the Oscape program written by Ethatron. Niflib is internally as the library to read/write/modify the nif files through its API.
NifSkope too uses Niflib to read/write/modify the files, the user doesn't directly access to these functions, just whatever the user is allowed through the Gui.

The Niflib version that Ethatron has been updated by him. Ethatron has updated his fork of the nif.xml to include his work decoding .btr files, an "extension"/alias of the nif format dealing with lod data, Ethatron can elaborate. Anyways, using his updated version of the nif.xml, he has updated Niflib to be able to read/write theses files. All this is available through his repo, not in the main niftools.sf.net repo as it hasn't been reviewed/pushed.

Hope that clarifies, possibly confusing further :P.
- Please post bugs and feature requests on the forum.

Latest Blender Nif Plug-in News
Blender Nif Plug-in - Dev Version
Blender Nif Plug-in - Dev - Milestone/Issues

A diffuse map is a piece of paper which tells you where the bomb is so that you can diffuse it.
Please avoid using the .obj format, it usually ends in tears :D.
neomonkeus
NifTools Developer
NifTools Developer

Postby Iloei » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Yes, I know what niflib is, but thank you for the overview. It's not really what I want but it may or may not be the closest I can get.

Personally, I am trying to extract mesh data from skyrim armor .nif files. I want complete triangles and vertices for a NiTriShape branch -- including bone weights for the vertices. So far, I've not gotten very far because of my limited knowledge of the internals of the niftools and because of the early stage of development of skyrim support in nif tools, and because compilation instructions are a bit sketchy, and because of lack of time on my part -- not even an hour a day on average -- and because my dev environments have some "bad things" about them (like: I had msysgit path in system path, seems to be bad for qt build environment -- though not in a way that generates any errors or warnings, just problems using the builds after they have been compiled).

At one point, I was hoping that I could have a text file export/import for the meshes, and was pointed at the maya obj export/import facility. But that is not complete enough for my purposes. (For example, it does not include the "vertex weights" that might go in a .skin.txt file: http://graphics.cs.cmu.edu/projects/sma/textData/ -- and I recognize that skyrim uses keyframe and not eigenskin animations). [And, in case this matters: I will also be wanting to update the mesh -- changing the number of vertices, the number of triangles and some of the values within the mesh, and I am going to want to import the changed mesh.]

One of my struggles is that the architecture of niftools very much focusses on the object structure implied by the nif files. I do not want that. What I want is nearly relational in structure: The texture paths; the vertice coordinates, normals, tangents, binormals, uv coordinates, bone weights, and the triangles. As far as I am concerned, or my current belief is: it's all simple blocks of data and I just need to understand how their locations and sizes are encoded.

So, anyways, when someone has something working, I like trying to find out specifically what they used, so I can try that myself and see if I can get working sources for something that deals with skyrim .nif files. (I need working sources because the underlying file structure is only documented in source code.)
Iloei

Postby Ethatron » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:59 am

Iloei wrote:Which niflib fork did you use? (Did you use 1.1.0-rc4 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/niftool ... /OldFiles/?)

Thanks!

I used the xml from RC4, with a few adjustments just to be able to get a valid niflib, to generate my own niflib.
Ethatron
NifTools Developer
NifTools Developer

Return to MOD Gallery