Computer Problems: Running Low on Memory!

Politics, Religion, Philosophy, Rants, and other assorted General Hysteria... (Go nuts: within reason.)

Computer Problems: Running Low on Memory!

Postby Shipwreck » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:01 pm

I've run out of space on my 250gig hard drive. I have a 2tb external and I've literally transferred almost everything I possibly can to it, including backing up several of my game files to it and uninstalling them from my hd.

The worst thing is that every time I download something of my hd to gain some elbow room to work in it fills right back up again and I'm not even saving anything in particular to make that happen. It's just disappearing. I guess programs are downloading updates or something??? I don't know. I already moved all my music, pictures, videos, and non-critical documents off. Gaining about 4 gigs each time and it whittles down to nothing over a few days. When I started backing up my old games that I don't play anymore I actually managed to free up about 20 gigs so I thought I'd be fine for a while and even that inexplicably vanished over about a week.

Just the other day I found I had an old roommates user profile still on here, well I already knew that, but I found out there was about 4 gigs of data there and I deleted it gained that much, then also went into my control panel and uninstalled as many old, unused, and unidentified programs as I could thinking it would bump me up from 4.44 gigs free to at least 5 or maybe 6. After I finished all the uninstalls I check my C: and the free space had gone DOWN to 4.1something! After doing nothing at all but uninstalling programs for an hour!

So I have no idea whats going on, what this is filling up with, or where it's coming from.

What I just found out though is that my AppData folder (windows vista) has 89gigs in it! That's more than a third of my HD!!! WTF???

So I googled it and it seems like a lot of the stuff on AppData can be important and cause program crashes if deleted. But does anyone know what (if anything) can be cleared out of there, and how to do it with?out disrupting any important programs? Because 89gigs can not possibly be necessary application data!
Shipwreck

Re: Computer Problems: Running Low on Memory!

Postby neomonkeus » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:58 am

the %appdata% folder is importand as it is used as a common location, installation independent store. Blender for example uses it to store most of the plugins that come with it, and will install a version specific folder per install, i.e 2.69, 2.70.

Depending on the application, yes it can be important, but it might also be additional files that got downloaded. It could also be the case that the programs that you unistalled just didn't clean up after themselves very well, so I would check in there is there there are any folders for programs which you have deleted.
- Please post bugs and feature requests on the forum.

Latest Blender Nif Plug-in News
Blender Nif Plug-in - Dev Version
Blender Nif Plug-in - Dev - Milestone/Issues

A diffuse map is a piece of paper which tells you where the bomb is so that you can diffuse it.
Please avoid using the .obj format, it usually ends in tears :D.
neomonkeus
NifTools Developer
NifTools Developer

Postby jonwd7 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Try an app like TreeSize to help you find out what is taking up the most space.
jonwd7
NifTools Developer
NifTools Developer

Postby Ghostwalker71 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:33 pm

honestly that sounds to me like the appcrapa(not sure that's the official name) virus, it constantly fills any free space on the hd with junk files in appdata folders, bad thing is it's impossible to tell which files are valid and which are junk without closely looking at each file.
first steps I would take is to run a full system scan to make sure there are no bugs, then wipe the temp files from your browser( they can take up a lot of space). then is no bugs are found and clearing the temp files don't help much I would run disk scan and disk defragmentation, disk scan will tell you if you are losing sectors, If it finds any bad sectors it's time to buy a new drive.
Ghostwalker71
NifTools Developer
NifTools Developer

Postby smokex » Fri May 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Sounds like Microsoft's winsxs folder too.
smokex

Postby Shipwreck » Fri May 09, 2014 2:42 pm

UGh. I hate having this problem but I also hate the idea of having to do anything about it.

I am a responsible adult.
Shipwreck

Return to Off Topic