Fallout 4 Nif File not visible as Settlement Menu Icon

A place to discuss game-specific issues and techniques when using our tools to create mods for Fallout with other modders.
This is not the place to ask for help from the developers or to report bugs.

Fallout 4 Nif File not visible as Settlement Menu Icon

Postby Sharlikran » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:10 am

I am using 2.0 Alpha 6

For Fallout 4 I used the Archive2.exe to extract a nif file named AdvertsPoster06.nif. It has a texture on one side and I know nothing about the meshes, textures and nif properties. However, I found a video to copy the branch. Once I copied the branch I went to transform -> Edit and rotated the duplicate BSTriShape by changing the R in Rotation. I used this with an Art Object and it shows up just fine as an Icon for the settlement menu. So I thought I'd just do the same thing for another file.

This time I chose SignFrameMetalRectPoster01.nif. Duplicated the BSTriShape branch, rotated it, saved it and assigned it to an ARTO record. Once in game nothing shows up. I compared the two and noticed that the working one had a NiAlphaProperty. So in the Block list I found the BSProperties and it was none. I opened the other working nif and copied that node and pasted it under BSProperties so it would be attached as a child of the BSTriShape. Loaded up the game and still nothing. With the default vanilla Material it shows up normally in the CK, even with my own material swap MSWP, and even changing the BGSM in the nif itself works in Nifskope.

The two files are found in Fallout4 - Meshes.ba2. Would anyone be willing to extract the two files and compare them? What do I need to do so the nif file works as an ARTO for the settlement menu without changing the textures or the BGSM file.
Sharlikran

Re: Fallout 4 Nif File not visible as Settlement Menu Icon

Postby jonwd7 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:11 pm

The game needs to know what to zoom on for anything that shows up in settlement menus. And sorry but I don't remember how exactly to go about that anymore. I'm fairly positive it's done entirely in the CK with some kind of bounds/transform record. You will need to look at other settlement items for examples.
jonwd7
NifTools Developer
NifTools Developer

Re: Fallout 4 Nif File not visible as Settlement Menu Icon

Postby Sharlikran » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:26 am

I had posted on the Nexus and asked Frogprincess if she new. Turns out that Fallout 4 doesn't like Decals for ARTO objects in settlement menus. So using the material editor, I was able to uncheck the Decal box and then I checked both sides (which means I don't have to copy the branch) and now I have a usable and viewable Menu icon. Thanks for the response Jon I appreciate it.
Sharlikran

Return to Fallout Modding