Problems trying to animate using Blender and nifscope

A place to discuss game-specific issues and techniques when using our tools to create mods for Civilization IV with other modders.
This is not the place to ask for help from the developers or to report bugs.

Problems trying to animate using Blender and nifscope

Postby The_Coyote » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:10 pm

hello,
even if the last thread is a bit old here, i hope it´s the right place to post my problem. But first let me thank you all for the great tools you provide us :D

So far iirc there is no civ animation blender export function activated but the one from oblivion should be similar. This as base knowledge i tried to animate a unit for civ, unfortunally now there is a problem where i could need help. I created a new bone armature using nifscope (and using a similar sheme like the standard ones), created an unit in blender, imported the armature and rigged the model to the armature. (no vertex weight, only 100% assign, but every vertex was only assigned to one bone) Exported the result and checked the rigging playing a bit in nifscope. All seemed fine (beside the wrong flags used on the bones, civ seems to need 6 for armature nodes and 22 for the final bone in the armature three, fixed that later).

After this i used the blend files to animate the unit and exported the animation using the oblivion option, because the file itself didn´t worked but looked similar i created a blank master kf using nifscope and a standard civ one, only missing the text keys, correct end time, name and NiTransformData entries. I copied the NiTransformData from the oblivion kf files (ignoring the version mismatch warning) and i believe that i have changed all the other values manual. After all kf files were created i created a kfm file using a tool from the civfanatics. I used this method because with civ kf files i was already successful (adding a second propeller to a plane, copying the entry from the existing one to an unused bone in all kf files)

With the wrong flags the unit animates, but parts with wrong flag are not affected, beside this the animation worked almost correct. Almost because there is a disappearing error, after attacking, while the other unit dies, the attacker disappears before appearing again. After setting the correct flags the disappearing error still happens, but now there are CTD (without helpful imformation for me - the crash occurs on different animation sequences, one crash even occured while i tried to remove an unit via worldbuilder(after 20 fights) another after adding three units and leaving the worldbuilder, so no idea if a certain animation causes the error). To check my nif i renamed the bones of a standard civ model to match my structure, and both errors also occured. Is the reason the version mismatch? Or could a kfm error cause my problems? Or made i simply stupied error(i only made ~40 models so far, so also possible)?

The crash model can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=291292 post 9
the "working" model with wrong set flags: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads ... e&id=10717

if the blend files are needed and can attach them to the first link (please ask)

by the way, it there an option when exporting an animation that if the starting frames is not the first the start time is set to zero and all other values corrected? While trying i used another animation end position as start for the new sequence but the start time was set to the actual time value in the kf files. But was my first (and only) try, perhaps i had also some old values (eg the text entries from the the old animation).

thanks in advance
The_Coyote

Edit: blender 2.46 and nifscripts 2.37, nifscope version 1.0.4 or 1.0.10
The_Coyote

Re: Problems trying to animate using Blender and nifscope

Postby amorilia » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:59 pm

I guess that the version mismatch could be an issue. But as you say the kf structure should be very similar to the one for Oblivion. It is only a matter of activating kf for CivIV in the export script, so I'll have a go at that for the next release.
amorilia
NifTools Developer
NifTools Developer

Postby The_Coyote » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:12 am

Thanks for your answer (and fixing my log in problem), is it possible to give an eta when you think you can activate the option exporting animation for Civ IV for testing or is the necessary amount of work not predictable?
The_Coyote
NifTools Team Member
NifTools Team Member

Postby amorilia » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:35 pm

Sorry, this one had slipped down on my eternal list of things to do :) The change is very minor, I've actually just implemented it. I'll upload a test installer in the dev section in a moment.
amorilia
NifTools Developer
NifTools Developer

Return to Civilization IV Modding